An invisible red thread connects those destined to meet, regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but never breaks. ~Chinese Proverb

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Chores Galore..........

I've tried several different chore systems and then my friend in CO, Tiffany, shared this one. It's great and the girls are so excited about doing it so far. So I went to Walmart and bought these magnetic, dry erase boards for $5 and a pack of magnets for $1.50. I printed off some play dollars off the internet and then took pictures of their chores. Tiffany laminated her dollars and pics but I don't have a laminator so I bought a roll of clear laminate instead. Clear contact paper would work too I imagine. Which, by the way, did you know that if you try to scan in real money, it has some sort of security thingy in it that prompts a warning on your printer to refer to the US treasury to review the rules. Had no idea. Anyway, read on to hear how it works......




So, the pictures have magnets on the back (or mine will but I haven't done this part yet). You pick what chores you want them to do and place it on their boards. Once they have completed the chore, they place one of those circle magnets on top to indicate its done. Some of our chores include watering plants, emptying the dishwasher, sweeping the floor after dinner, wiping down the bathroom sink, cleaning the glass on the french doors, cleaning up the pool toys, and feeding the dog. Cleaning their room every day is a given. So, if they complete ALL the chores, they earn a dollar. But its ALL or nothing. The idea is that there wouldn't be any discussion but this first week has been about training and instruction so we'll move in that direction. They can earn up to $7 a week. We may consider having a day off so this might change.
So this is the Treasure Basket, basically a bunch of dollar items from Michaels. I have priced the items higher to avoid them getting 7 items each each week. Otherwise, I'd be refilling it too often. So most things are $3 or $4 with a few $2 items and some as high as $7. They can spend it all or save it. I was very excited about the cute basket I put together. If only I had a basket to pick from when my chores were done..........


So here they are with there money. They each had $5 to spend since we only did it 5 days this week. They have been ready and willing to check their boards in the morning and get started.

Considering their options.....


Working out the finances.........


Do I want this or that? Notice the lollipop stick hanging out, she cracks me up.


She's made her selection, some play money and a wooden doll to color....all for $4 with $1 to put towards next weeks loot.

Kenzie chose a pony and she has $2 to forward onto next week.
Honestly, I was surprised they saved any at all. They both have their eyes set on a hula skirt complete with a lei and coconut bra but that's more than they could afford this week.
So thanks, Tif for the idea. We love it. It does seem to be the easiest system I've had so far. It doesn't require much work from me after the initial set up. So go get organized Moms, schools starting soon................

1 comment: